Sunday, October 24, 2010

Push by Sapphire

9/10

I have not seen the movie Precious yet in part because I wanted to read the novel first. It is a powerful and disturbing book. At times, I wanted to cry, scream, or both. I kept asking myself why was something not done when I read about the abuse. Why did the police or a social worker not take her away? Then I thought about all the people that the "system" does not save, and how they must be feeling all the same emotions of emptiness that Precious was feeling. It is wonderful that she found a place to feel safe and someone who cared about her enough to help her develop her confidence and self-worth. It is a depressing story since Precious had so much to deal with to get where she is and has a lot more to go through. My only complaint is that the novel is hard to understand at times. I know the author was writing at the grade level Precious could write at, but it made me have to re-read sections to understand them. Overall, Push is a moving novel that makes you feel and hope for the main character.

No comments:

Post a Comment