Tuesday, November 2, 2010

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

8/10

I recently read "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and loved the book.
Thus, I needed to see the movie. The movie, by itself, is very good.
Jack Nicholson does an amazing job and so does Louise Fletcher. The
one part where McMurphy should leave the ward after the party, but
sits down in the chair instead, was extremely well acted. It was as if
you could see McMurphy's inevitable fate, this realization, and his
"giving in" all through his facial expressions. I wish it was a bit
more like the novel though. It lost a lot of the detailing and emotion
invested into the minor characters. Alot of the chief's story and
character were lost when he was not narratoring the story. Also, Nurse
Ratched was much more demonized in the book. I missed the freakish
imagery of Chief Broom's schizonphedia. Overall, the movie was great
but I missed the imagery and details that I loved from the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment